Stone of Lugnaedon on Inchagoill Island
Description:A photograph of a standing stone, known as the "Stone of Lugnaedon"
Copyright:on Inchagoill Island. Inchagoill Island is the largest island on the lake known as Lough Corrib. This lake is in Ireland. The fifth century inscription on the stone which is still legible to-day reads "Lia Lugnaedon Macc Lmenueh". This is written in old Gaelic and translates as follows - "The standing stone of Lugnad Son of Limanin", sister of Saint Patrick. It is believed that St Patrick and his nephew (who was also his navigator) came to Cong in the middle of the fifth Century to spread the Christian faith. The Pagan druids who were very powerful people at the time had St. Patrick and his nephew banished to Inchagoill Island. This is how the Island got its name - Inis an Ghaill (the Island of the Stranger). While building their church Lugnad died and was buried on the Island and this stone marks the spot where he was buried. It is interesting to note that the stone has the shape of a boat's rudder, tying in with the theory that Lugnad was St. Patrick's navigator. Many archologists claim that this inscription is the oldest Christian inscription in Europe apart from one found in the Catacombs of Rome. This photograph was taken in 1947.